Medical Ear & Nose Piercing
Designed for families concerned with the health risks associated with ear piercing – blood borne viruses and nickel allergy – Blomdahl considers ear piercing to be a medical procedure. With that in mind, the Blomdahl Medical Ear & Nose Piercing System has been designed from a medical standpoint, using modern technology and safe materials. To ensure the safest possible ear piercing, the Blomdahl Medical Ear & Nose Piercing System is available through Aesthetics.
The Blomdahl sterile cassette system addresses the dangers of blood borne viruses – such as Hepatitis – being transmitted during the ear piercing process. Here is how it works.
Are you looking for a safe way to have your ears pierced?
Then you have come to the right place – this is exactly what Blomdahl offers. Using sterile products, hygienic methods and skin friendly jewellery, we always put your skin and your health first. Out of special consideration for children, we have developed medical simultaneous ear piercing in order to speed up the piercing process without compromising safety.
Medical Ear & Nose Piercing
Ear piercing is a medical procedure, so there is every reason to make sure that it is done properly. Blomdahl’s Medical Ear Piercing has been developed from a medical standpoint, using modern technology and safe materials. Ear piercing has taken a big step forward making piercing safer.
Nose piercing, as with all types of piercing, is a medical procedure, so there is every reason to make sure that it is done properly. Blomdahl Medical Nose Piercing has therefore been developed from a medical standpoint, using the same modern technology and safe materials as used in Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing.
Our beautiful nose piercing studs are made of homogeneous (non-plated) titanium of a medical grade quality because of its superior non-allergenic characteristics.The nose piercing studs come in Natural Titanium and Golden Titanium, with or without Swarovski crystals. The Golden Titanium nose piercing studs have 24 gold on the jewellery part of the stud, but it is only the skin friendly titanium that comes into contact with your skin. No butterfly is used for nose piercing. Instead the nose piercing stud has an olive shaped tip, in order to prevent the nose stud from sliding out. Disposable cassette for nose piercing, Sterile, encapsulated cassettes containing one pre loaded nose stud, makes nose piercing not only more hygienic but also easier to do. When the cassette has been used once then it is disposed of.
Medical Plastic – 0% nickel
Medical Plastic is the only material for ear piercing with 0% nickel. With pure, medical plastic you can guarantee that you will not be exposed to any nickel. Recommended for children and adults who want to be absolutely certain that they will not develop nickel allergy during the healing period. We use Swarovski Crystals.
Medical Ear Piercing in few STEPS
- Mark The desired location of the piercing is marked with a surgical marker pen.
- DISINFECT The skin is cleansed with alcohol swabs
- Sterile disposable products, the ear piercing is carried out using sterile piercing earrings positioned inside sterile disposable holders. all the parts you come in contact with, come directly out of the sterile packaging.
Piercing earrings for optimal Healing
- Blomdahl piercing earrings are not like ordinary earrings. they are specially designed to facilitate the healing and so that you can easily change to regular earrings after the healing period.
- The earring back is the key to optimal healing. When air can circulate around a new piercing, it will heal better. That is why the earring backs on Blomdahl piercing earrings are always fixed at the tip of the post, where they also encapsulate the tip. The earring backs cannot be moved like on regular earrings. That way the air can always circulate around the new piercing.
- Airy with longer posts, In order for the new piercing to be kept airy and to heal better, it is important that the piercing earring has the right length. But all earlobes differ in thickness. For slightly thicker earlobes Blomdahl has developed piercing earrings with extra long posts.
- Safer to change earrings, After the healing period, you can remove the piercing earrings and change to other earrings. However, the skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear. It takes up to a year before the holes have healed completely. The holes have also a tendency to shrink. Blomdahl’s piercing earrings have been designed so that the holes will be slightly wider in the beginning and thereby not get so easily damaged when you change earrings.
Aftercare instructions during the healing period
- Never touch your ears with unclean hands.
- Wash your newly pierced ears (on both sides) thoroughly twice a day. Do not remove the earrings when cleansing.
- When showering/washing your hair, use liquid soap and rinse thoroughly with clean running water. Dry with a Kleenex or Q-tip.
- Supplementary cleansing is done with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs, which are gentle on the skin. The swabs make it possible to clean between your ears and the earrings/earring backs. Allow to air dry. Use a new cleansing swab for each ear, each time. Note! Do not clean with alcohol.
- Make sure that the area around the holes are kept clean, dry and airy at all times
- Cover your ears when applying make up, hair spray, spray perfume, hair-dye, etc.
- Take extra care when you are putting on/pulling off clothing over your head, in order to prevent the earrings from getting caught
- Bathing in a swimming pool, lake or sea: wait for as long as possible after the piercing and avoid keeping your head under water. When you come out of the water, cleanse with liquid soap or with Blomdahl Piercing Aftercare cleansing swabs – see point 2 above.
- After approx. 6 weeks (cartilage approx. 12 weeks) you can change to new earrings. This is how to remove the ear piercing earrings: wash your hands and ears thoroughly. With one hand, take hold of the jewellery part (front) of the ear piercing earring. With the other hand, wriggle the earring back, back and forth, until you feel it loosens. Carefully remove the ear piercing earrings and put in new, clean earrings.
- It takes up to a year before the holes are completely healed. Hence consider the following:
- Always wear earrings. If you go without, the holes can shrink and/or close completely.
- Take extra care when changing earrings. The skin that has grown within the holes is still thin and delicate and can easily tear, which may cause an infection. Therefore, always make sure to wash your earrings and your hands before the change, and make sure that the area around the holes is kept clean, dry and airy. If you use earrings with earring backs, these should not be pressed tightly against the back of the ear.
- The risk for developing a contact allergy is at its greatest during the first year after ear piercing. This is why it is extra important to wear safe earrings during this time. In consultation with skin specialists, Blomdahl has developed skin friendly jewellery suitable for everybody and especially for those who have just pierced their ears.
- IMPORTANT! Redness and/or swelling and/or pain and/or rashes are indicative of a possible infection. If the hole is placed in the soft part of the ear (ear lobe), remove the earring and cleanse/disinfect. If there is no improvement the following day, contact your doctor. If the hole is placed in the cartilage part of the ear, remove the earring, cleanse/disinfect and seek immediate medical attention.
How to cleanse
How to remove the ear piercing earrings
Nickel allergy – how to avoid it
We are not born with nickel allergy. Nickel allergy is a skin contact allergy which can develop as a result of continuous contact with objects that contain nickel, such as zips, buttons, coins and jewellery. World wide clinical studies have all identified and confirmed ear piercing and the wearing of earrings as a prime risk factor for developing nickel allergy, with as many as 10-30% of all women affected. Once you have developed a nickel allergy there is no remedy which can cure the allergy
The only solution is to avoid all contact with metals containing nickel. However this can be very difficult because all metals contain nickel, even gold and silver, mostly in the form of impurities. Therefore, there are no metal ear piercing earrings which are entirely free from nickel.
Frequently Asked Questions about Ear & Nose Piercing
Do you use gun for ear and nose piercing?
Yes, we only use Blomdahl’s Gun(as picture) for ear and nose piercing.
Which parts of the ear can I get pierced?
The simple and definitely the most popular from of piercing is the lobe piercing and the upper ear is punctured towards the rim which is called the forward helix, as picture:
What types of earrings do you use?
We use pure, homogenous, medical-grade plastic 4mm have 0% latex, nickel or BPA, are super light weight, and great for everyone. A medical-grade plain titanium is the same material used in surgical implants, eliminating any concerns about allergic reactions. These studs which are both considered the safest hypoallergenic earrings to use(picture studs as below). These studs that can be worn after the initial piercing studs are removed.
Can I use my own earrings?
No, you may not use your own earrings for piercing. Our special piercing studs are pre-packaged in sterile cassettes specifically designed to be used with the Blomdahl® Medical Ear Piercing system. You will be able to use your own earrings in 6 weeks when the piercing studs are permanently removed.
Can I be allergic to plastic?
One can develop an allergy to practically every substance also plastic materials. However, the specific plastics of medical grade that we use for the ear piercing earrings (and also normal earrings) have been used extensively on a regular basis in and on humans for more than 35 years. In the medical literature there are no reports that these plastics have been the cause of allergy.
Do we use numbing cream for ear piercing?
No, you may apply the numbing cream prior the piercing treatment (30 minutes). We don’t apply numbing cream for our piercing treatments, because the Blomdahl instruments have a separate firing mechanism, when you pull tight on the lobe, it compresses the lobe, prior to firing. This compression will actually desensitise the area, meaning it virtually numbs the area naturally.
How do you make sure the holes are perfectly centred?
For how long should I wear the ear piercing earrings?
When you have pierced the soft part of your ear, you can change the ear piercing earring already after four weeks. It takes longer time to heal a piercing in cartilage, so we recommend you to wait for at least six to seven weeks until you remove the ear piercing earring. When the time has come to change the earrings, we recommend you to take out the ear piercing earring directly after you have taken a shower and washed your hair. Do not let the piercing be without any earring as the piercing will shrink and the diameter of the hole will quickly be reduced, especially during the first year.
My friends tell me not to pierce high up on the ear through cartilage. They do not know why, but they say it is risky. What is your opinion?
As long as the piercing is done just inside the rolling edge, there are no particular risks involved in the piercing as such. Before you decide to have the cartilage part of your ear pierced, you should however understand, that there is not the same kind of “built-in” protection against infection in cartilage as there is in the soft part of the ear (the ear lobe). While you have blood vessels in the soft part, there are no blood vessels in cartilage. The white cells and the oxygen in the red cells of the blood act as a defense against infection. As there are no blood vessels in the cartilage there is no defense mechanism against infection. This means, that it is even more important for your cartilage pierced ear, that you carefully follow the written after care instructions, which will be given to you by us. In the case of an infection in cartilage we recommend that you remove the earring, clean with an antiseptic and go and see a physician immediately.
Why should I not twist the earrings during the healing period?
If you twist the earrings without having carefully washed the ears and your hands first, it can result in an infection. A common misunderstanding is that if you do not twist the ear piercing earring the skin will grow onto the earring – this will not happen with Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing.
On the after care instruction that I received when I had my ears pierced, it says nothing about using an antiseptic! Why?
An ear piercing means that you have got a wound. There are two kinds of wounds non infected wounds and infected wounds. Infected wounds should be treated with an antiseptic. A fresh ear piercing is however a non is however a non infected wound. Non infected wounds should be kept CLEAN, DRY and AIRY.
So, first wash your hands thoroughly and then wash your pierced ear with liquid soap and a lot of clean running water, e.g. when having a shower. Then use a clean towel to dry the clean piercing. and follow Blomdahl Ear Care cleansing swabs. If the piercing does become infected remove the ear/nose piercing ear/nose ring and cleanse with an antiseptic solution. If there is no improvement the following day, seek medical attention.
I recently was pierced with the Blomdahl Medical Ear Piercing system. The aftercare instructions state the ear piercing studs should be removed after 6 weeks. Why is this?
Blomdahl ear/nose piercing studs should be removed at 6-7 weeks permanently. The ear/nose piercing studs are designed with extra thick posts (1.3 mm) which are important during that initial healing phase. Think of our ear piercing studs as a short term implant device. If you choose to leave them in, the ear will stabilize at a 1.3 mm diameter. When removed at 6-7 weeks, the inner wall of the piercing has healed enough so that 2 important things have happened:
1. The tissue has healed enough so that nickel ions no longer can so readily pass into the blood stream. They still do but at a much less rate.
2. You can now insert and remove standard size posts (1.0 mm) without damaging that healing tissue. This decreases chance for infection. The hole will continue to heal and contract for about a year and the hole will stabilize at 1.0 mm.
The difference between the 1.0 mm hole and the 1.3 mm hole is really not visible, but some styles might wobble. Also, the backs on the ear piercing studs only fit properly once. Once removed the fit gets looser and looser.
What is the best age to pierce my child’s ears?
We recommend piercing at around the age of 5 when the child is able to sit still during the procedure, allowing us to perform safe and perfectly centered piercings.
My kids want to have their ears pierced. I have heard that ear piercing can cause nickel allergy, Is that correct?
The ear piercing procedure as such cannot cause nickel allergy. It is the material that some ear piercing earrings are made of which can cause nickel allergy. All ear piercing earrings made of metal contain nickel– more or less – even gold and silver. The only ear piercing earrings that do not contain any nickel (= 0% nickel) are the ones made of Medical Plastic. Therefore we recommend that your kids get their ears pierced with Medical Plastic.
Do you only do children’s ear piercing?
We perform ear piercing for infants, children and adults.
Please note, we can only perform this treatment on persons 18 years old and above. If you are under the age of 18, parental/guardian consent is required. Your parent/guardian must be present during the performance of the treatment, and must sign and agree with our terms and conditions.